Monday, August 28, 2006

The first two weeks with Zuzu

On the way home from the hospital with my beautiful new baby girl, I cried. I was so happy that we had left as a couple and were returning home as a family. I was excited to introduce Zuzu the world (outside the hospital.) Baba (Zuzu's daddy) drove real slow and careful on the way home. A couple of times he looked back to check on her and almost ran into a curb. (I made him buy a mirror for his car 2 days later.)

Our first day home was very exciting even though we were all exhausted. I got to relieve myself for the first time on my own toilet. Ahhhh....
My milk came in, in the middle of the night and Zuzu was happy to have her food. The first few days my hemorrhoids were the cause of all of my pain.

At 4 days old Zuzu had her first doctor’s appointment. She was weighed, measured, and given the once over. The doctor was very pleased with her weight and demeanor.

After 9 days of being home we hosted a little get together so that our friends could meet Zuzu. That evening I wore myself out. The next morning I woke up feeling horrible with a nice fever.
Baba ended up taking me to the ER. Turned out after the ideal birth I had managed to dehydrate myself (it took 2 IVs), get a urinary tract inflection and mastitis. I was put on a level C antibiotic for a week. Good news is...I felt better but it caused Zuzu's bowel movements to change to the consistency of spit...bubbles and all. I also found out that buy not eating and drinking enough I had caused my supply to dwindle so that my poor Zuzu was always hungry for 2-3 days until my body caught back up.

My biggest lesson over those two weeks was: while nursing you have to eat like you are still pregnant even when you don't feel like it. (No one ever told me...I thought I could just eat when hungry and get skinny quick.)

No comments: