Monday, June 02, 2014

Ouch!

Signed up for my first 5k since I was in college, a few months ago. I just got the green light a week earlier to run, after having some back problems. 

It was a perfect running day. 60F and slightly overcast. As I drove to the race a bald eagle even cruised above my car for 4-5 car lengths. I felt like this was a good omen.....I was wrong.

I started in the middle of the pack because I don't run 6-7 minute miles like I used to :) that was my first mistake. It was bike path narrow and I had to pass a few hundred people, some who were already walking within the first 1/4 mile. At the 1 mile marker I felt awesome! I was pacing with a few people and then slowly passing them. At about a 1.3 miles running on the street....my bad ankle met a rock. Yes completely random and some kind of cruel joke. I wanted to cry. I wanted someone to come pick me up and give me a ride back. It hurt bad. I sat down for a couple of minutes hoping the pain would slow down so I could limp it in. It didn't. I got tired of sitting, so I walked. 
By the time I got on the grass again a mommy friend who is 8 month pregnant come jogging by. I decided what the hell I can just jog slow because I am feeling pathetic limping along. So I gimped along jogging. I got tired of that so then I said my farewells to the mommy friend and ran it in. The blacktop.....it hurt. Every step on my left foot was felt up to my knee, but only 1 mike to go, and as gimpy as I was, I was still gaining on everyone in front of me. 

I finished in 33 minutes. Not exactly the under 30 I was aiming for. I seriously want a do over. There is another 5k there in August. I am thinking that next time, I need to wrap my ankle and start towards the front more.  

Lessons Learned. 

No comments: