Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kindergarten Assesment

To be honest I was worried that I have not done enough with preschool homeschooling. So I was really reluctant to do the Kindergarten Assessment at Z's future school. Sure she is smart, but maybe I haven't introduced her to enough things. It was her assessment, but I felt like it was mine to. It is like the teacher's who get evaluated based on their student's performance on tests. I was more nervous than Z was.

So we went in today. Write your name and draw a picture of yourself. Basic colors, basic shapes. Count theses bears. Identify all the letters in upper and lower case. What sound does this make "qu, th, ch, sh ?" Can you read these words (about 50 words.) She breezed right through everything.

I heard these words, "Wow! I have Kindergartners that don't know all the blends. I haven't seen any incoming Kindergartner that has been able to do all of that." "You are doing a great job with her!"

I was able to breathe again and proud. We were preparing to write the alphabet, do pattern blocks, basic addition, and read a book, maybe tell our left hand from our right or something. I must have been preparing for Kindergarten in California, not Washington, or something.

I just need to post this to say how proud I am and what a relief that I am actually doing an okay job. I shouldn't doubt myself, but obviously it doesn't stop me.

No comments: