Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cashmere Cuddles Review

I had a chance to try out a carrier from Cashmere Cuddles for a few weeks. It is by far one of the most beautiful carriers I have seen and the pictures don't do them justice.

When I first tried this on I was overwhelmed and it wasn't as intuitive as the ergo. G was about 6 weeks at the time and had little head control so getting him in it was not easy. (You put it on and then put baby on shoulder like you are going to burp baby but a little higher than normal and then ease the baby down into the carrier.) G was not happy with his feet tucked inside and wasn't quite wide enough to sit in it like the picture (taken at 10 weeks when G was 16 lbs and 25.5" long.)




As you can see G doesn't have a lot of head control as this age but now Teri (the owner) has added the option of hoods that would help support little heads.

The carriers are very comfortable and light weight which is great on warm muggy days. There is also a matching tie to hold your child in closer to your body (not pictured.) Since this carrier lacks a lot of bulk it easily fits in any diaper bag and most purses. A huge plus over the ergo.

Cashmere Cuddles now has an online video available by requests for those of you that are like me and sometimes feel "carrier stupid." Seeing them used in real life and video really helped me with using it.

After using it for a few weeks, I am not sure this is the right carrier for a newborn just because getting them in and out (especially) is really difficult (since you need 2 hands to lift them out and then you don't have a free hand to support their head.) I think this is a great carrier starting at 3-5 months with the leg gussets and for half the price of an ergo you can't go wrong.

If I still lived in California (where the weather stays warmer longer) I would probably have Cashmere Cuddles make me one with gussets and have her add a zipper or velcro pocket since I always need an extra pocket for my phone, wallet, and keys.

No comments: