Saturday, June 07, 2008

Birth Story

As you all know I had teaser contractions for about a month prior to birth. I didn't sleep well the night before. More of what I thought were teasers and lots of using the toilet. Morning came and the teasers didn't go away and after all the bathroom visits I knew it would be that night.

So all day yesterday I stayed closed to my friend the toilet and relaxed listening to some Beatles music and just tried to rest up. For the most part they were 7-10 minutes apart while I was laying down and relaxing, but when I would get up to do anything they would come closer. To me they really didn't feel to bad. About 10:30 or 11 am they started getting about 5 minutes apart and a little more intense, but they still didn't seem too bad. So I decided to go take a warm bath. When that didn't make a difference on the contractions and they continued to intensify I told baba he should let the mid-wife know we would be on our way soon. (I didn't want to spend 20 minutes in the car in hard labor so I told him let's just go.)

We arrived around 1pm. They were intense but still not what I would call full power (when compared to Zuzu's birth). So I got in the tub there and relaxed. Then just to get an idea of where I was at I had the mid-wife check me. She said I was at 8 cm. I was completely shocked. I thought for sure she was just trying to be nice or something. (I was thinking maybe 5-6 cm.) About an hour after that I was at 10 cm.

I started pushing. This time was different. I had to work a lot harder to get the water to break and him to crown. It was probably all of 3pm by then. Then I took my time stretching myself so I wouldn't tear. Pushing was so much harder this time, especially in relation to the labor. This time I could feel so much more with his head coming out. It was really weird.

Finally my little man was born at 3:41pm. He came out blue. The mid-wife said it was normal though I wasn't so sure, but he was breathing well and she said to give him some time to get some color.

I ended up with a 2nd degree tear. Which I thought was weird since I was being so careful. Turns out I tore in the exact same spot. I got stitched up.

Later we found out he was 8lbs 5 oz and 21" long. Zuzu was only 7lbs 1 oz, so I guess the extra 1 lb and 4 oz needed to escape some how :D Now I am just worried the next one is going to be 10lbs or something crazy.

We left the birthing center as a family of 4 at 7pm. I came home and rested while baba and Zuzu got me a Fatburger. :)

I'll try to get a picture or two up soon. There are only 3-4 pictures currently in exsistence and baba has them all. I will say he does have light brown hair but nothing when compared to Zuzu at birth.

1 comment:

Stephanie C. said...

In and out in 6 hours?! That is crazy! Congrats on your new little guy - I can't wait to see the pics.
~MrsCole